WYOMING TERRITORIAL PRISON STATE HISTORIC SITE, LARAMIE, WYOMING
975 Snowy Range Road, Laramie, Wyoming
Built in 1872, the Wyoming Territorial Prison operated until 1890 as a federal prison until 1890 and was a state prison from 1890 to 1901 when the Wyoming State Penitentiary in Rawlins was completed. It is one of the oldest buildings in Wyoming. After it was used as a prison, the property was transferred to the University of Wyoming which used it as an agricultural experiment station until 1989. Two years later the facility was opened to the public, and in 2004 it was designated as the Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the former prison sits on 197 acres. The site includes historic buildings, museum exhibits, a nature trail, a picnic area and a visitor center with gift shop.
More information: Wyoming Territorial Prison State Historic Site or (307) 745-3733